Sunday 22 May 2011

Player In The Spotlight: Matt Wilson

Player In The Spotlight

Each week leading up to the Kick-off of the 2011 season, we will have a player in the spotlight and learn a little bit more about each of the team. First up, is Matt Wilson, Varsity City founder, manager and Runners Up Players Player Of The Season for 2010/2011 Season is first to be quizzed


Name: Matt Wilson
Age: 22
Position: Anywhere!
Team Supported: Man Utd, Lincoln City
Teams Currently Playing For: Hykeham Tigers FC, Louth Town FC


Who in your opinion is the greatest player in your lifetime?
Zinedine Zidane. The man is football, I don't think our generation really appreciates how good Zidane was, and only really remembers him for his infamous headbutt. Zidane's touch, technique, and influence upon games was outstanding and I don't think they'll be many players in the future who'll match that. Beckham, Messi, and Ronaldinho are also some of the most inspirational players throughout the Last 15 Years.


What is your greatest achievement in Football so far?
Well I think winning trophies is all well and good, but I've never had such a sense of achievement until last season when I founded Varsity City. The amount of time and effort that was spent, I don't think anyone could actually quantify! But to get 15-20 lads who hadn't even met each other before, and turn them into a group of good mates who played some cracking football together and at one point looked unbeatable was a real success.


Who was your player of the season for Varsity last year?
Well obviously Sammy Newton would player's and manager's player at the Awards evening last week, and I think it was really deserved and Sam got my vote. However, there was one or two other lads who deserved a real mention. Bowler came from nowhere and being sick on Skelly Road field in Pre-Season, and if you'd have said to me at the start of the season Bowler will end being one of your best players then I wouldn't have believed it, he's come on leaps and bounds.


How excited are you for the upcoming Season?
Massively, It's a fresh start and less pressure on me to do all the admin, and managing side of things. This season I can concentrate on being player, and club captain. The off the field captaincy is left down to whoever the gaffer's feel right, but it'll be nice to have a season where I can concetrate on my game, and hopefully guide us to a few cup finals and a league title.


Quickfire Round
Titch Or Beaumont?
Titch! ;)
Daddy Or Chips? Chips!
Tevez Or Taibi? Taibi!! Tevez, is Judas!
Winning A Cup or Winning The League? Winning The League
Scoring the Winning Goal or The Three Points? Team Player, All about the Three Points!